Micro-Teaching Lesson Plan | Pythagorean Theorem
Subject: Mathematics Grade: 8 Date: Nov. 16th
Presenters: Ivy, May & Sarah
Lesson Overview
| Introduction to the Pythagorean Theorem: a^2 + b^2 = c^2. |
Big Idea
|
|
Curricular Competencies
| Thinking - Through applications, students will need to critically think about where they could apply the pythagorean theorem in their own lives. Extension activities can also allow students to engage in Communication and Personal & Social connections.
|
Content Objectives
|
|
Materials and Equipment needed | Paper, scissors |
Lesson Stages | Learning Activities | Time Allotted |
Part I Part II Part III |
| 5 minutes 5 minutes 5 minutes |
Thanks Ivy, May and Sarah! Looks like a fascinating lesson incorporating math history, Indigenous story and hands-on activities. You've also broken down the lesson plan with timings and a sense of who will lead what. Good work!
ReplyDeleteSuggestions: Please also include links, handouts or background to the activities of the three sections. For example, I'd like to know what the Canoe Problem is, and which visual/ tactile proof of the Pythagorean Theorem you are planning to use! I will let the class know to have scissors and paper on hand for the lesson today. Looking forward to an exciting lesson here!
Ah, now I can see the slides -- thanks May! This makes a big difference.
ReplyDeleteNotes: What river is 10km wide?? (Maybe the Amazon... but maybe not even that!) Make sure that your numbers are in the ballpark of what is realistic. Sqrt 164 is not such a 'nice' number for people just starting on the Pythagorean Theorem, so think about whether you want to change it or not.
I love the canoe problem, but do be aware it brings in ideas about vectors, something the kids would not have encountered yet -- so be sure to explain the idea of current in a way that makes sense for them.
Thanks!