Friday, 9 October 2020

 

                 Microteaching Lesson Plan- EDCP 342

 

Subject:

Folding open-top box 

Class:

EDCP 342 Students

Date: 

Oct. 14/20

Duration:

10 minutes

Class Composition:

 

26 students in secondary math cohort, some experience with paper folding  

 

Rationale

·       To provide a hands-on learning experience for teacher candidates and to give them perspective on what it might feel like being a student in a high school classroom.

 

Learning Objectives:

 

 

 

 

 

·       Classmates will be able to fold an open-topped box through in-class demonstration. The goal is to through self- and peer-evaluation, teacher candidates are able to practice their teaching pedagogy, and exam and reflect on their strength and weakness in terms of teaching.

·       To learn how to fold an open-top box

 

Required Materials

·       Any paper (scrap paper, newspaper, construction paper, etc.)

 

 

 

Lesson Components

 Learning Activities

 

Time Allotted

1.

Introduction

 

 

·       A short story about the use of an open-top box

1 minute

2.

Demonstration

·       Demonstrate step by step folding procedure       

2-3 minutes

3.

Guided Practice

·       Ask students to grab a piece of paper

·       Have students follow along with me in a step by step manner

6-7 minutes

4.

Summary/Closure

·       Extension

·       Summary: reiterate the procedure for the folding of the box

·       Reiterate that the box shape can be varied to suit your needs

1-2 minutes

 

5 comments:

  1. 3 for everything
    I really like the demonstration! I like how you have enough time to go through the whole process of making a open top box. There was also time buffer for questions as well. Thank you Ivy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. a)3 b)3 c)3 d)3 e)3 f)3
    Very practical and hands on. Easy to follow with your instructions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. a)3 b)3 c)2 d)3 e)3 f)3 I found your demonstration very clear and helpful! Along the way, you were able to help us individually, even through Zoom which was impressive! I think the timing was a bit rushed at the end but that's because you had to answer our questions and that, in my opinion, is more important than trying to get everything in. Thank you for teaching my how to make a paper box!

    ReplyDelete
  4. For today's lesson I think I would rate myself a 2 in general. I definitely prepared more than was presented in the microteaching but I wasn't able to deliver it very smoothly. When I realized that I was short of time, I got panic and wanted to rush to finish. That's something I need to work on for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Ivy! Notice that you rated yourself lower than your peers did - that is typical of most people, but be sure not to be TOO self-critical! It sounds like the lesson generally went very well, and it is important for you (or any of us) to think about what worked as well as what could use adjustment or improvement.

    ReplyDelete

 Updated Unit Plan ( Assignment 3 Final)  https://drive.google.com/file/d/1NKW2S592vce-lF_d3Idx1KA6_AmDBMIF/view?usp=sharing