Reflection on Microteaching
In general, I think my microteaching performance was okay but I am not satisfied.
My biggest challenge in teaching is
always my speech speed. It is so natural
for me to speak fast and often times I lose my listeners. I knew that if I could speak slower and enunciated
clearer, my intonation would be calmer and I would express myself better. Before the teaching, my husband had suggested
me to lower my voice to sound calmer and clearer. I took his suggestion and it did
work well at the beginning. However, when I realized that I was short of time, I started to speak faster and louder. Another thing I didn’t do
well was when I realized that I couldn’t finish my lesson as planned, I was
panic and lost of my train of thought. I
think I really have to work on these two things to become a better teacher.
One thing I did well was that when one of my classmates couldn’t follow
me, I stopped and showed him once more how to fold the paper. I think this is where
effective communication happens between the teacher and the learner. As a teacher, the focus should always be the
students. In my opinion, it is better to
teach half of the lesson and have all the students understand the materials than to finish the whole lesson but only have half of the students understand the materials.

Great reflections, Ivy. I am sure that the issue of the speed of your speaking is mostly a question of feeling pressured and rushed. It's good that you're aware of it, and as you relax into the role of teacher, it will all get much easier. I completely agree with you about teaching the learners, rather than just talking through the topic!
ReplyDelete