Wednesday, 23 September 2020

 

Homework Due 23rd.

My Favourite & Least Favourite Math Teacher

One of my favourite math teachers was a professor who I took class with at SFU.  The main topic of that class was to investigate and solve various puzzles from a mathematical point of view.  It was such an interesting class.  The professor was passionate and knowledgeable in his field.  His lessons were well planned and his teaching was exciting.  During class time, everyone had a puzzle on hand and each lesson we would solve the puzzle one step further.  This hands-on learning experience allowed the students to really participate in the class discussions and engaged in the learning process. Everybody was attentively listening to the lecture and trying to figure out the next step to solve the puzzle.  I remember that one time I went to see the professor in his office where I saw hundreds of different puzzles on the office shelves.  When I asked him questions about these puzzles, he grabbed the puzzles and started to explain how to solve them.  He was really passionate about these puzzles!

Ironically, during that semester, every time I finished the class with my favourite professor, I would have to go to the next math class which I hated the most.  It might be the nature of the topic or the professor’s teaching style, I found that class was extremely boring and difficult.

The most treasurable lesson I have learned from my favourite math teacher is that passion can lead to you anywhere.  I want to develop a passion towards my teaching career so that everyday and every moment of teaching is enjoyable.  

           

 

                                    A Letter from My Student

Dear Ms. Li,

How are you?  It has been ten years since I took grade 8 math with you.  I am excited to tell you that I just graduated with a degree in mathematics.  I can’t believe that I did it!  Even today, I still remember that math was used to be my least favourite subject in high school.   It was from your class I found my love for math.  Your passion towards mathematics, your humours teaching style, and your caring personality towards students really inspired me.  Here I am today, a math graduate who used to hate math the most! Thank you!

 Sincerely,

Linda Yang



Hi Ms. Li,

How are you?  This is Nick from your math 9 class 10 years ago. I can’t believe I am writing this letter to you.  It sounds really mean but I have to tell you that I still remember how boring your class was! Until today, I still hate math and I think it is a “side-effect” after taking your math class.  Please try to make your class more interesting!

 

Sincerely,

Nick Zheng

1 comment:

  1. What a great story about your SFU prof and their passion for mathematical puzzles! I know you have it in you to be just as passionate, and to experience the 'flow' of enjoying math with your students. It may not happen 100% of the time, but it can happen most of the time!

    ReplyDelete

 Updated Unit Plan ( Assignment 3 Final)  https://drive.google.com/file/d/1NKW2S592vce-lF_d3Idx1KA6_AmDBMIF/view?usp=sharing