Blog Post Due December 02nd
According to Hewitt, arbitrary is something that you need to memorize. Arbitrary
is if someone could only come to know it to be true by being informed by others
(Hewitt, 1999). My understanding is that we can assign anything a name arbitrarily
and when everyone accepts the name, it becomes a convention and the name becomes
the representation of that particular thing. On the other hand, necessary is dependent upon
the awareness of students. Necessary are the things or facts that students have
to figure out themselves through their working process. For me to teach effectively, I think it is important
to impart all the arbitrary knowledge to my students but at the same time, I also
need to think carefully how to cultivate a learning habit where students can
develop their awareness to discover all the necessaries during problem solving
process. I guess the essence of promote “necessary”
awareness is to give only required “arbitrary” and encourage students to work
on themselves to find out the necessary.
Once they find the necessary, it becomes the new arbitrary. Following this process, we would see that some
of the “arbitrary” were “necessary” at the beginning of their learning process. I like the idea that a teacher should “provide
a task which will make properties accessible through awareness”. In my opinion, this part can be done by giving
more group work or project-based learning experience. The lecture time will be the time teachers
give arbitrary information and the group work or project-based learning is
where the awareness of necessary takes place.
Lovely! I like your application of these ideas to teaching (what to lecture on, and what to offer as activities and inquiry questions). I'm not quite convinced that what was once necessary becomes arbitrary, but I do see that something that has been understood and proven can then become a remembered 'fact' until we need to reconstruct or prove it again!
ReplyDelete